|Mon. Oct 31st 2011|
Branchburg Rescue Squad would like to remind our resident to the dangers of running generators in or near your home. Please make sure to only run them in well ventilated areas. The following safety message is from the CDC:
The CDC offers the following cautions on the use of gas-powered generators and other tools:
• Do not use generators, charcoal or gas grills, propane camping stoves or heaters, or any gas-powered tools inside the house or garage.
• If you must use one of these devices, use it only outside and away from open windows. Opening windows for ventilation does not provide enough air circulation for these items to be operated inside. Use a long, outdoor-rated extension cord for the generator, so you can locate the generator away from the house.
• If you use a pressure washer, place the engine outside and away from any open windows or doors.
• Do not use your gas stove to dry out or heat your home. Do not leave your gas stove on while you sleep.
• Carbon monoxide is a gas you can't smell or see that comes from these items. It can quickly build up inside your home or enclosed space and poison the people and animals inside. Children, pets, and individuals with heart disease, lung problems, or anemia can be affected more quickly.
• Exposure to carbon monoxide can cause you to pass out or die. The most common symptoms of exposure are headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion. People who are sleeping or intoxicated can die from carbon monoxide poisoning before ever experiencing symptoms.